June Events

Go down

June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:06 pm

As is not doubt obvious to many, I have been much occupied with relations between the Barons.  It pains me that this has stopped me from speaking to you, the residents of Yorkshire.

I would like to hear what has been occurring in my absence.  If anyone has a petition then please make it now.

Simon sits and calmly waits.

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Reynard Tisserand on Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:45 pm

Reynard steps forward to speak.

"Your grace. There was a great deal of chaos at our gathering last month, in your absence, and with the absence of Seneschal Domnal. Panic at the presence of Mithras's army, failure to appropriately receive Mithras and his entourage when they arrived at the chapel. When esteemed visitors from the Court of Love arrived, there was no one of appropriate station to greet them to our assemblage (I shudder to think what will be said of our manners in Paris). I believe the domain would benefit from having a more firmly established chain of command for when you or the Seneschal are not immediately available."
avatar
Reynard Tisserand

Posts : 139
Join date : 2016-04-24
Location : Esteemed, Connected, Resourceful, Influential (x2)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Valance on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:40 pm

"With the regular absence of my Lord Siegfried, with your approval, I am claiming the Baronet ship of Richmond, Harrogate, Hambleton, Ryedale and Scarborough. Scarborough has suffered to long without direct supervision and protection. I only value the ports in it titular city, but for the benefit of the domain at large I will spread my protection over the entire borough. In claiming the Baronet position I do not renege on my oaths to Siegfried, but reaffirm them in caring for his lands in his absence."

Valance

Posts : 165
Join date : 2015-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:47 am

To Reynard

Indeed? I should think that if a cainite of eminence wishes to travel they would send a courier to notify of their intentions. I do when I travel. I, nor my court, shall be tied to a court site on the possibility that someone will visit. Preposterous. In my nights here in York less than 1 in 200 has required my presence at court. No, I am afraid it is the courts of love who are rude in making a visit un-announced. I hold them no ill will. My domain is open for travel to my Elysium of course, but I my not concerned for this.

Still I would be pleased to find those with the proper drive to fill certain vacant rolls within my court. I have need of certain skills. Yet I do not wish to appoint someone who lacks enthusiasm or skill. I prefer to take my time. But if any feel they have the skills and the desire, they should approach and make it known. I value drive and ambition more than tact.

To Valance.

....yes. You have performed many services to Yorkshire and myself. You have shown an understanding for the tasks required in maintaining such lands. You do honor to your lord by holding his lands in his absence. I will, of course, send word to Warmaster Siegfried, but providing no objection this will be done.

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:57 am

We note the addition of Scarborough to your claimed lands Valance. Did you drop one of the other districts to make sure you could maintain such vast holdings or are you simply adding to what the North is claiming? Beyond that, who are your sworn vassals? We have no objection to your claim, but a Baronet can hardly claim the title without at least one knight.

Beyond these matters, this does remind the court that we are in need of someone to fill our third Baronet position. There are a handful of possible candidates, but as with court positions, we find that drive is critical when it comes to such things..

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Valance on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:51 am

According to a letter I received from my Lord he is allowing Aubrey De Vere to oversee Craven. I gathered this was a clan matter so I have not pressed my lord for details, but De Veres is considered responsible for that domain.

I am a merchant and a Knight, not a Lord, so I think of these things differently, but Reynard and I have come to an arrangement, he is my man in Scarborough. Additionally through my Lord's grace I hold MacLeod as a knight of Harrogate and Sir Carl of Skipton as the Knight of Richmond.

Valance

Posts : 165
Join date : 2015-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:27 pm

Is it the case? Interesting...

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Style yourself as you will so long as the lands are maintained and your duties fulfilled, but make no mistake, you are a lord by virtue of this claim. We expect the Baronets to be able to maintain the lands they claim, and to report on the state of their lands once per moon. There are additional tasks we may speak of in private as they become relevant.
To clarify, this position requires more than simply pursuing the merchant life. You will need to investigate problems, resolve issues that may trouble the kine, act as a political agent for the Court should it be needed, and provide physical safety as a sworn baronet at the very least. Make sure those under you have a full grasp of their roles as well.

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:46 pm

Aubrey, are you present? I would like to know your intentions in Craven. You you have communicated with Lord Richmond? I am to understand you are taking a role as his knight, and by extension a sworn knight for Valance?

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Reynard Tisserand on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:00 pm

Simon Molendinarius wrote:To Reynard

Indeed?  I should think that if a cainite of eminence wishes to travel they would send a courier to notify of their intentions.  I do when I travel.  I, nor my court, shall be tied to a court site on the possibility that someone will visit.  Preposterous.  In my nights here in York less than 1 in 200 has required my presence at court.  No, I am afraid it is the courts of love who are rude in making a visit un-announced.  I hold them no ill will.  My domain is open for travel to my Elysium of course, but I my not concerned for this.

Still I would be pleased to find those with the proper drive to fill certain vacant rolls within my court.  I have need of certain skills.  Yet I do not wish to appoint someone who lacks enthusiasm or skill.  I prefer to take my time.  But if any feel they have the skills and the desire, they should approach and make it known.  I value drive and ambition more than tact.

I will begin by observing your admonition for directness over tact: It appears that the domain is currently without the services of a chamberlain, and I would put my name forward for the position, should you regard it as one that needs filling.  I am not in the habit of volunteering services without their being requested, as, in Tours, such an act is often considered presumptuous.  However, I do strive to adjust my behaviors to align with local customs, and so, if it is appropriate in our current setting for me to proffer services when no specific request has been made, I am happy to do so.

And please allow me to clarify two things in your reply to my original petition: first, I did not intend (and do not desire) that court take place in a single fixed location. I would tire of any particular setting quite easily after a very small number of gatherings there, and am overjoyed at the prospect of a court that rotates its meeting place.  My only request concerned the absence of a clear order of authority beyond yourself and the seneschal, within the domain.  And this ties in to the second clarification.  For you are correct that etiquette requires foreign dignitaries to announce  arrival ahead of time. But as you know, we live in dangerous times, and couriers are sometimes misplaced or waylaid, through no fault of the person who sent them.  And if someone arrives here unannounced, it is, of course, true that the initial faux pas is on their shoulders. But, that hardly alleviates our responsibility to receive them properly. Any rebuke or penalty due to them for their faux pas can only be politely levied once they have been greeted, acknowledged, and given a chance to explain the curious circumstances of their unannounced arrival.  Of course, I again am speaking from my own understanding of the protocols and etiquette which were observed in Tours, and, were I to be Chamberlain, I would joyfully adjust my expectations and approach as per the desires of my Baron.
avatar
Reynard Tisserand

Posts : 139
Join date : 2016-04-24
Location : Esteemed, Connected, Resourceful, Influential (x2)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by The Listener on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:45 pm

Aubrey clears his throat.

"I am present, Your Excellency, but alas unprepared for this discussion. While I was not prepared to make the announcement just yet, I suppose now is as good a time as any to claim the third Baronet position. I currently claim as my lands Leeds, Bradford, Craven, and Calderdale. I have yet to speak at length with Baronet Domnal, along with several other Cainites regarding extending that claim to Kirklees and Selby. With your permission, I would table this discussion and continue it with you personally in a fortnight or so when I have had an opportunity to complete the arrangements. At that time I will be able to provide you a list of vassals and exact territorial borders."

He shrugs.

"To directly answer your question, at this time I have sworn fealty to none save Lord Mithras."

The Listener

Posts : 159
Join date : 2016-04-04
Location : Everywhere.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by The Listener on Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:04 pm

After a beat, Aubrey glances at Reynard and adds,

"I would also add, Your Excellency, that your Court was not without representation. I had been tasked by your Seneschal with representing his interests while present at Court, and as such took it upon myself to hold an informal gathering and greet our visitors from the Courts of Love. While I was unable to grant them your formal hospitality or the like, I was able to see to it that they were directed regarding the disposition of lands here in Yorkshire and direct them to the correct individuals with whom to speak to make further preparations for a lengthy stay. While I would second Reynard's request for clarification regarding the order of precedence in your Domain in your absence. It was my assumption at the time that it would fall to status and reputation and thus I took the lead with the blessing of most present, but if you have other desires for whom should lead in the absence of yourself and your Seneschal, I for one would welcome clarity."

The Listener

Posts : 159
Join date : 2016-04-04
Location : Everywhere.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:08 pm

You should talk with Baronet Domnal for multiple reasons it seems. Most of what you list is already part of Southern Yorkshire.
That being said I am not against a redrawing of lines. However, in the end three Baronets should be able to cover the entire domain.
There is also the matter of your vassals.

We will table this until the coming court when these matters can be dealt with to the edification of all.

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:11 pm

Reynard Tisserand wrote:I will begin by observing your admonition for directness over tact: It appears that the domain is currently without the services of a chamberlain, and I would put my name forward for the position, should you regard it as one that needs filling. I am not in the habit of volunteering services without their being requested, as, in Tours, such an act is often considered presumptuous. However, I do strive to adjust my behaviors to align with local customs, and so, if it is appropriate in our current setting for me to proffer services when no specific request has been made, I am happy to do so.

And please allow me to clarify two things in your reply to my original petition: first, I did not intend (and do not desire) that court take place in a single fixed location. I would tire of any particular setting quite easily after a very small number of gatherings there, and am overjoyed at the prospect of a court that rotates its meeting place. My only request concerned the absence of a clear order of authority beyond yourself and the seneschal, within the domain. And this ties in to the second clarification. For you are correct that etiquette requires foreign dignitaries to announce arrival ahead of time. But as you know, we live in dangerous times, and couriers are sometimes misplaced or waylaid, through no fault of the person who sent them. And if someone arrives here unannounced, it is, of course, true that the initial faux pas is on their shoulders. But, that hardly alleviates our responsibility to receive them properly. Any rebuke or penalty due to them for their faux pas can only be politely levied once they have been greeted, acknowledged, and given a chance to explain the curious circumstances of their unannounced arrival. Of course, I again am speaking from my own understanding of the protocols and etiquette which were observed in Tours, and, were I to be Chamberlain, I would joyfully adjust my expectations and approach as per the desires of my Baron.

I prefer drive and ambition yes. Do not claim a position you do not desire...

However, assuming you do in fact wish for this role, we will have a personal talk you and I during the coming court after which you might assume the role.

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:13 pm

After a brief pause.

Please, however, do not mistake me. I prefer elegance as well. Subtly is not discouraged, far from it. The trick is to temper ambition with grace.

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by The Listener on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:40 pm

Simon Molendinarius wrote:You should talk with Baronet Domnal for multiple reasons it seems.  Most of what you list is already part of Southern Yorkshire.
That being said I am not against a redrawing of lines.  However, in the end three Baronets should be able to cover the entire domain.
There is also the matter of your vassals.

We will table this until the coming court when these matters can be dealt with to the edification of all.

Aubrey nods. "I have of course spoken to him on several occasions about this matter - we simply have more discussion to be had prior to a formal announcement. I only spoke now because it was directly relevant to Valence's claim. I assure you, I would never make such a claim without the involvement of Domnal."

The Listener

Posts : 159
Join date : 2016-04-04
Location : Everywhere.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:56 am

As you say. Perhaps your discussions should include Valance as well. The Court believes the three of your should be able to divide Yorkshire between yourselves.

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Reynard Tisserand on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:49 am

Your Grace, I have one final supplication.

On my recent visit to the Court of Love, I ran into an old acquaintance of mine—an enchanting Toreador named Beatrice Écrinier—who expressed an interest in meeting some of Yorkshire's more eminent Cainites. Though she has not yet made much of a name for herself outside of Marseilles, she is not only delight to gaze upon, but she is wise beyond her years.

With your permission, I would like to invite her to our upcoming gathering, and relay to her the location of court this month. I invited her to stay with me in Scarborough in advance of court, but, to my chagrin, obligations in France prevent her from arriving early.
avatar
Reynard Tisserand

Posts : 139
Join date : 2016-04-24
Location : Esteemed, Connected, Resourceful, Influential (x2)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:26 am

Of course, if you vouchsafe her. Does she have any notable reputation that may have not reached our ears?

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Reynard Tisserand on Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:41 am

Of course, those who know her personally would no doubt all testify to a variety of her meritorious qualities, but I believe that at this time, she has yet to achieve formal reputation, even within the courts of France. However, in my estimation, that will have changed by the time she makes her journey to Yorkshire, as the business which prevents her from joining me in advance of court is a valuable service to a member of the court at Marseilles, and, when she is successful in carrying out that mission—as I am sure she will be—she will be granted a fraction of the reputation that she so richly deserves.

I sincerely thank you for your permission, Your Grace, and as soon as you are able to let me know where Court will be held this month, I will straightaway write to her with this happy news.
avatar
Reynard Tisserand

Posts : 139
Join date : 2016-04-24
Location : Esteemed, Connected, Resourceful, Influential (x2)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Simon Molendinarius on Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:12 pm

Court will be held in York once more, where the matter of domain will be resolved and the rotation of court sites will begin once more.

Simon Molendinarius

Posts : 384
Join date : 2015-08-31
Location : York

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Reynard Tisserand on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:39 pm

"Thank you, Your Grace. I cannot wait to introduce Beatrice to Yorkshire, and I trust that the domain will be as enchanted with her as I am."

Reynard bows deeply.
avatar
Reynard Tisserand

Posts : 139
Join date : 2016-04-24
Location : Esteemed, Connected, Resourceful, Influential (x2)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: June Events

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum