Blood of Avalon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Celerity and social/mental disciplines

3 posters

Go down

Celerity and social/mental disciplines Empty Celerity and social/mental disciplines

Post by Mors Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:24 pm

Using celerity greater than lvl 1 states that it renders the use of social and mental disciplines useless. I am seeking clarification on this. Which of the following does this include?

When using celerity you cannot initiate challenges with social and mental disciplines? (entrancement, etc)

You cannot use social and mental disciplines that require expending traits (awe)

You cannot use passive social and mental disciplines? (Heightened senses)

My thought is that it would include the first two, but not the third. However I find the book to be unclear on this point and would like ST clarification.

Mors

Back to top Go down

Celerity and social/mental disciplines Empty Re: Celerity and social/mental disciplines

Post by Admin Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:42 am

You're correct

You cannot initiate challenges, or use disciplines that require expended traits however passive disciplines are OK to be used.

Admin
Admin

https://buffaloavalon.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Celerity and social/mental disciplines Empty Re: Celerity and social/mental disciplines

Post by Valance Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:48 am

With the Hieghtened Senses example you could use your senses to hear a distant sound, but not initiate a challenge against someone's obfuscate? I assume even if the challenge would be won without chops it still counts as initiating a challenge.

Valance

Back to top Go down

Post by Mors Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:49 pm

That's a good question. I think a take on this is that it doesn't stop you from doing mental or social tests, but simply using mental or social disciplines.

This could mean, if a discipline power doesn't call for a mental or social test or trait expenditure in it, then it isn't a mental or social discipline. I.e. dreadgaze and entrancement ask you to engage in a social challenge. Awe asks you to spend a social trait.

Heightened senses does not ask for any of these, and trying to observe someone who is trying to be sneaky is certainly a mental test you could normally perform.

This is simply one way that could be interpreted. Further discussion and ST clarification is welcome.

Mors

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum